- Mascarpone cheese 1 lb. (455 g) mascarpone cheese
- Raw organic eggs 2 (or whipped cream 1 cup (240 mL) if you can’t or want eat raw eggs)
- Granulated sugar 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Espresso coffee 2 shots (2 ounces; 60 mL)
- 1 Cup of water (You can add 2 tablespoon of amaretto liquor but I prefer to use only water so the kids can have a taste)
- Lady fingers about 26 depends of how many lawyers and how big is your pan.
- Unsweetened dark cocoa powder 3 tablespoons
- You can use a square (8 by 8) or rectangular glass pan that can be stored in the freezer.
Mix 2 shots of espresso and a cup of water and chill, if you like you can add 2 tablespoon of amaretto liquor (if you don’t have espresso just use 1 to 1.5 cups of American coffee (you may substitute with decaf if you are serving to kids).
On the base of your pan put a thin layer of mascarpone cream you set aside.
Now you need to be careful soaking the lady fingers one at the time for a couple seconds in the coffee we prepared, rotating to coat all sides. Be careful not to over soak or under soak, a rule of thumb is to make sure you soak one side at a time and place on the the lady fingers side by side on bottom of your pan right after soaking. Once you finish the first layer cover with half the mascarpone cream and sift 1 teaspoon cocoa powder on surface of the first layer.
Apply a second layer of lady fingers and the remaining cream and cocoa powder on top.
Store in the freezer for a few hours and take it out 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy Annamaria Marchese. Thanks Anna!